Monday, March 17, 2014

Birthday Dinner at American Grille on Seneca

We tend to go out for my wife's birthday with all the kids on the actual day. She usually decides on a new restaurant for dinner each year. This year we tried a place that had been recommended to us by several friends and family members. It didn't hurt that the restaurant has a birthday club that provides you a free surf & turf dinner on your birthday. With these two things voting in favor of it, we tried American Grille on Seneca for the first time on my wife's birthday this year.

We arrived for a later than usual dinner right after our son's floor hockey practice. We were seated right away at a huge table in the bar room. The bar room was very noisy, but that's something we've come to appreciate when dining with the kids. With plentiful noise, no one is bothered by the noise our large family can make. When we noticed the good sized kid's menu, we knew we made the right choice.

As we looked at the menu, I noticed a well-stocked bar and a good tap lineup for beer. The menu has all kinds of options. Soups range from $2.99-$4.99. Appetizers featured some interesting choices from hand cut fries ($3.79) to a hummus platter ($7.99) to the steak lollipops (char-grilled filet mignon on skewers served with a variety of dipping sauces - Spicy Thai, House BBQ Creamy Horseradish or Caramel - $9.99). As you'd expect, there was a large selection of sandwiches and burgers, as well as wings, salads and entrees.

We came for the surf & turf and my wife ordered that as it was her birthday treat. So that the surf & turf was free, I had to order an entree. I ordered the grilled salmon served picata style with lemon, artichokes and capers ($19.99). Shortly after I'd ordered, however, I was advised that they were out of salmon. I ultimately chose one of the specials of the evening - Cajun Haddock topped with shrimp and an andouille cream sauce ($18.99). Our kids were able to find things they all liked on the kid's menu including chicken fingers and pasta and meatballs ($5.99 served with a drink, side and dessert). My father in law chose the build-your-own pride burger ($8.99; toppings $1.25 each).

Both of our entrees were served with salads. Here's a look at my salad with the balsamic vinaigrette that I'd chose for my dressing:


The salad was fresh and just enough to prepare me for my entree to come. The greens were crisp and the tomatoes were quite good for this time of year.

The waitress was able to accommodate our large family and brought the kids' meals as soon as they were ready instead of waiting for our meals to be finished. While they loved their choices, the chicken fingers were particularly good and seemed to be homemade. Here they are with the hand cut fries:


The pasta also looked good and our oldest daughter enjoyed it:


After we finished our salads, we didn't wait long before our entrees arrived. This was my wife's surf & turf:


The steak was cooked perfectly and the shrimp were plump and not over cooked. Both were flavorful and delicious. The hand cut fries were well-made, crisp and worth the price of admission. Not a bad free birthday meal at all!

This was my Cajun Haddock:


The fish was cooked perfectly and was tender and flaky. The sauce, while looking overpowering, really was quite good. The andouille was spicy and smoky and went well with the cajun cream sauce. The shrimp were also cooked properly and were great with that sauce. It was served with rice and some steamed zucchini. It was so much that I couldn't finish every thing.

We had a great first meal at American Grille. While I didn't catch a photograph of it, my father in law's burger looked great and I can't wait to get back to try one of the many burgers on the list with another great craft beer. The American Grille had very good food in a cool atmosphere which was kid friendly. They also had plenty of great libations for the adults. I think we just found another place for our regular rotation whether with the kids or without.





~NE



© The Nittany Epicurean, 2014.  All Rights Reserved.

American Grille on Seneca on Urbanspoon

The Nittany Epicurean Buffalo restaurants

No comments:

Post a Comment