Thursday, November 14, 2013

Mayer Brothers Cider Mill - A Family Tradition

Autumn is quickly becoming my favorite time of year. There are so many things I like about it: the leaves changing, pumpkins, Fall foods, the return of football & hockey, and the list goes on and on.  

One thing I particularly enjoy are the family traditions that we have each Fall. As I've told you before, we take a trip to Cattaraugus County each year for lunch at the Ellicottville Brewing Company and then a stop at Pumpkinville to pick up pumpkins and pumpkin donuts. That trip is one of my favorite family Fall traditions.

Even though it was a little later than usual, we took a short trip that is another annual Autum tradition. Earlier this week, made our annual trip here:


Mayer Brothers Cider Mill.

We've been coming to Mayer Brothers since I was a little kid. My wife and I take our kids there every Fall to get donuts and cider. I'll admit that I'm somewhat biased toward Mayer Brothers since I grew up three of the Mayer boys: Garrett, Eric and Travis. While at Mayer Brothers earlier this week, I was able to see Garrett again and introduce him to our family.  We also got our regular fill of goodies from their retail store.

Here's a look at the interior of the store:


This is the cooler where the delicious cider is kept in the store:


Another shot of the interior of the store:


This is what we brought home to feed the family:


Mayer Brothers is one of the oldest businesses in Western New York as it was founded in 1852.  The Mayers continue the great tradition started by their ancestors of making great cider which is perfect for this time of year. The donuts and baked goods served in the shop are all delicious. The retail store is only open from mid-August to Thanksgiving so it makes this time of year even more special. We all look forward to going there and enjoying the baked goods and cider. I highly recommend that you put it on your to-do list for the Fall.  

You still have a few weeks left to get to the store before it closes for the season. Stop by, pick up some cider and a pie or two for Thanksgiving.  Tell Garrett that I sent you!






~NE



© The Nittany Epicurean, 2013.  All Rights Reserved.

Mayer Brothers Cider Mill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment