Thursday, September 26, 2013

Brilliant Breakfast in Pittsford

As you know, we took a trip last weekend to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary.  On the trip, we had an amazing, authentic Mexican lunch at Rio Tomatlán, a noisy dinner at Jojo Bistro & Wine Bar, and a wonderful experience at the New York Wine & Culinary Center (which I will detail very soon).

We knew we wanted to enjoy a great breakfast before we headed back home to end the trip on a high note.  When my sister was in college at Nazareth College in Pittsford, New York, I had a great breakfast right in the Village of Pittsford.  Based on that experience, I knew that spot would be the location for the perfect breakfast to end our trip.

We headed here:


Hicks & McCarthy.

We were seated after a very short wait, even though we arrived around 10:00 a.m. on a Sunday morning.  The restaurant was busy when we got there and busier when we left.  We both ordered coffee and water and I was very pleased with the quality of the coffee they served.  (As you might recall, I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to good coffee, especially Italian coffee.)  The coffee was a nice dark roast, rich with flavor and full-bodied.  Should have taken some in a to-go cup.

When it comes to breakfast, I'm a savory guy.  Every now and then, I'll get something sweet, especially if we're at a restaurant renown for its sweet breakfast specialties.  Most often, however, I prefer savory breakfasts.  I love eggs.  I love home fries and hash browns.  Not surprising, I went with a savory option at Hicks & McCarthy.  My wife, who frequently goes for the sweet breakfast options, went with something savory this time too.

After going back and forth between a bunch of different options, I settled on the homemade corned beef hash.  My wife chose an omelette.  

This is the plate that was set down in front of me:



As you can see, the two eggs (sunny side up for my liking) were served atop the homemade corned beef hash.  It was served with these wondefully crispy and flavorful "breakfast potatoes" and toast (I chose cinnamon raisin).  The meal was wonderful!  The eggs were cooked perfectly and the hash was amazing.  It was not overly salty as some corned beef hashes can be.  It was the perfect pairing for the eggs.  I could have had three more plates of those breakfast potatoes.  Top notch!  I couldn't have been more pleased with my selection.

This is my wife's plate:


She ordered the "Bacon Avo" omelette which was filled with bacon, avocados and jack cheese.  She also chose the cinnamon raisin toast and got breakfast potatoes with her meal.  Her choice was just as good as mine and she enjoyed every bite.

This was the perfect way to end our little trip.  We go to Pittsford from time to time as my sister went to school there.  We go back to visit with her or just go to hang out.  Hicks & McCarthy will be on the top of our "To Do" list next time we go back.  Such a great place!




~NE



© The Nittany Epicurean, 2013.  All Rights Reserved.


Hicks & McCarthy on Urbanspoon


2 comments:

  1. My name is Jay Henchen I'm corner of Hicks & McCarthy stumbled across your review. It was wonderfully written with great detail and I wanted to thank you for sharing, we hope to see you again soon.
    Warmest regards,
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the kind comment, Jay. Next time we're in Pittsford, we'll be back for sure!

      Delete